Town of Jewett Photo Page

Present Day Jewett
Projects

Historical Jewett
          Antonio Scilipoti (1884-1967) Collection Added January 2012
          Tom Hitchcock Collection
          Clara Goslee Thompson Collection
          Alvena Hitchcock Collection
          Gerry Loucks Collection
          Glenn & Betty Hapeman Collection
          Wright Rumbough Collection


If you have other old photographs of Jewett you would like to share on this website,
please contact the webmaster

Present Day Jewett Photos


East Jewett United Methodist Church



St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church



Jewett Presbyterian Church



Jewett Fire Dept.



East Jewett Fire Dept.



Jewett Post Office 12444



East Jewett Post Office 12424


Projects

Colgate Lake
Colgate Lake Dam



Colgate Lake Dam Project


Clogate Dam June 08
Colgate Lake Dam Project, June 08


Clogate Dam from the road
Colgate Lake Dam Project, June 08

 

Mt Shadow Bridge 08
Completed Shadow Mtn. Bridge


Shadow Mtn. Bridge Project
Shadow Mtn. Bridge Project



New Black Top - Boy Scout Road


Senior Citizen Dining Hall Upgrades

Senior Center

Senior Center

Office

Senior Center


Historical Jewett Photos / Postcards
                                            

Clara Goslee Thompson Collection


View of CR17 looking north from
Rice St.



Jewett Heights House-Chase House
Building burned



Bailey's Store & Alleys-next to the Jewett
Heights House



Bailey's Store & Alleys-next to the Jewett
Heights House



Northeast corner of CT17 & Goshen St.



Howard Goslee & Clara Goslee Thompson



Linn Tractor plowing snow on Goshen St.



Jewett Presbyterian Parsonage on CR17-
now David McGowan residence



Tower Mountain House on Merwin St.



CR 17 looking south approaching intersection
of Goshen and Merwin Streets

Photos courtesy of Clara Goslee Thompson

                                            
                                            
The Tom Hitchcock Collection

East Jewett Valley
The East Jewett Valley looking East
c.1914


The Eastkill
The Eastkill-Farber Farm Bridge


East Jewett Methodist
East Jewett Methodist Church
c.1930


Jewett Heights House
Jewett Heights House
Rt. 17 & Goshen St.
c.1909


North from 23C
Looking North From 23C to
Maplecrest Road (county Rt 40)


Schoolhouse
Northern District Schoolhouse
East of Losee Rd. 1850-1926?


South from 23C
Looking South across 23C
c.1923


High Peaks
Looking North from Scribner Hollow Rd.
at Blackhead,Blackdome & Thomas Cole
Peaks

Photos courtesy of Tom Hitchcock
Alvena Hitchcock Collection


Charles & Clara Beach family-current Faber Farm



Bridge at Slater Farm-current Farber Farm



Old building on Farber Farm



Mapleside Dairy Farm-currently Farber Farm



Slater Fram house - burned - west of current Farber Farm



Slater Farm barn - west of current Farber Farm - no longer there



Another view of the Slater Farm barn



Van Loan House - Round Hill Road
no longer there



Van Loan barn - Round Hill Road
no longer there



YMCA - located north of present E.J. fire department-
current location of Jeff & Cindy Loucks' home



1976 Jewett Town Officials
Back ; William Mead,Highway Supt.,George Howard,
Town Justice; John Sandusky, Councilman: Bruce
Maben, Town Justice,; Vincent Monteleone, Bldg.
Inspector. Front: Mabel Merwin, Town Clerk: William
Maben, Supervisor. Absent Lewis Beers, Councilman.




Bridge into Maplecrest



View of Maplecrest from Round Hill

Back to the Top

Gerry Loucks Collection


Griffin House - Became Colgate House around 1915
Demolished by NYS around 1980



Will & Libby Slater House - Last house in the "Spruce Woods"(Colgate Lake area) at the head of the valley, around 1890



Boat House - built by Gilbert Colgate at the east end of upper lake (now Camp Harriman). No longer there.



Former Jewett Town House, site of current Municipal Building



Ephraim Lord homestead - demolished around 1904. He built the Brandt house and sold it Gilbert Colgate about 1910.



View of the two Colgate Lakes



The Red Rambler - original Colgate family house. About half way up Parker Mountain Road (Rt. 23C) 1928.



Parker Mountain (Rt.23C) near Red Rambler (seen on left center 1928



Gilbert Benjamin's 1926 Sanford loaded with Christmas trees destined for NYC



Cars in front of Herb Edson's store. Colgate Road to the left.



Interesting picture - no information known



View of present Farber Farm from Losee Road
Very deep snow



Plowing snow on Colgate Road with Linn Tractor. Jabar Barnum in center.



Plowing Colgate Road - a lot of snow



Colgate House (far right background) and tenent house this side of Arnold Brook. Near current parking area for Colgate Lake



Colgate Road. Edna Benjamin (mother of Francis "Skip" Benjamin) on snow bank. Church in background presently private home.

Back to the Top

Glenn & Betty Hapeman Collection

Jewett Postcard 1906


The Peck Farm House


The Mt. Side House


The Maples


Kurau Cottage


The Blue Willow Rt. 17 & Goshen


Looking South on Rt. 17 in Jewett


Jewett Heights and the Church Building


House at Jewett Center, east of Rt17 on 23A


Bird's eye view of Jewett from Kern's Nursery


Baldwin Cottage, presently Maben


23C looking west - Harrison Soule Farm


Jewett Center Bridge


Presbyterian Church - Jewett Heights

Back to the Top

Wright Rumbough Collection


Playhouse at Red Rambler, East
Jewett (Parker Mountain)



Red Rambler



Red Rambler



Red Rambler



Bear Hunting





Bear Hunting



Bear Hunting



Colgate Lake Dam



Colgate Dam repair around 1956-57



Upper Dam



Ice Sailing



Ice Boating

Back to the Top

"History of the Town of Jewett" a book written by Town Historian
Elwood Hitchcock in 1976 is available in the Town Clerk's office
at a cost of $3.00

 


Town of Jewett, New York
2015